Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Week 4: Map Art




This week's Create assignment was to draw a map of an island, any island. Now, at first glance, this might seem like a pretty lame drawing, but hear me out - there's a story behind it (naturally).
When I was maybe 14 or 15, I read a book called "The Shadow Thieves." I was inspired to write. So I wrote a story called "The Invisible Island." It was about three teenagers who end up friends on a cruise boat that sinks in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. They are the only survivors.
The teens, two girls and one boy, manage to float to an island. From there things get crazy. They find that the island is inhabited with strange, fairy-tale creatures: pixies, dwarfs, dragons, centaurs, mermaids, ogres, etc. 
You'd have to read the book to be able to tolerate any more of the synopsis, but basically, the island (called Klaineana) is invisible to everyone except those three teens. They must embark on a crazy journey and learn lots of things before they can get home.
I never finished the book. I want to someday because it's a really great story.
Title: The Island of Klaineana
Size: 8.5" x 11"
Media: Pencil, pen and colored pencils
This artwork portrays to me the magic of imagination, and the wonder of new worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment